Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Summer Experiences:: Adult Edition

From Haley Borton, a junior in SLHS:

This summer I volunteered at MarianJoy Rehabilitation Hospital in Wheaton, Il. I really had no idea what to expect when I got the volunteer position. I didn't know if I would be working with kids or adults and I did not know what my job description was. The first day was amazing though! I worked with an SLP named Julie who graduated from the University of Illinois 3 years ago, so she is still young and can relate to me! I was there for four hours every Wednesday so she would have me "volunteer" part of the time and observe the rest of the time. The volunteer part was boring...just making copies and doing busy work like that haha but they really appreciated my work! The observation time was incredible! Julie works in the inpatient Stroke Unit of the hospital. I got to see swallow studies, initial assessments, and regular everyday one on one work with the patients. The most rewarding thing I got to see was the progress that people made while they were at this hospital. I saw a man the day he was admitted into the hospital and the day he got to go home and it was truly truly amazing. We really will be doing work that SO many people will appreciate. This was just a great opportunity to see stroke patients and how different and interesting all of the cases are. I do not know what I want to do in the future, but this was the best experience I could have asked for and definitely opened my eyes up to stroke patient rehab! I recommend this position to anyone from the Chicagoland area! This rehab hospital is nationally known, and is a great place to get some observation! Let me know if you have any questions or are interested!

From Courtney Wisher, a junior in SLHS:

This summer, i had the privilege of getting to intern at my local
nursing home/rehab center in Greentown, Indiana. I came in twice a week
and had the chance to observe the SLP's therapy sessions and evaluations
she had for the day. I observed everything from Alzheimer's patients to
stroke patients and even some swallowing patients. It was always fun to
get to interact with the elderly at the nursing home and they always
enjoyed hearing about Purdue and my experiences as a college student.
Now that I am a junior, I'm currently taking SLHS430, which is Speech
and language disorders in the health care setting. Everything that I
have seen at the nursing home thus far is starting to tie into my class
and its really interesting to be able to relate what I observed this
summer to what I am learning about in my SLHS 430. I definitely enjoy
getting to intern at my local nursing home and I look forward to going
back next summer too!


No comments:

Post a Comment