Total Pageviews

Monday, October 29, 2012

Grad School, Part 3


So, grad school. I wrote about it on here before, and since it’s the end of October and applications are due soonish, I thought I’d write some more. It’s Crossroads time and when you have NSSLHA members sitting at tables together, grad school comes up in conversation. A lot. J People ask me all the time, every day, “Sooooo where are you going to go to grad school?” (I’m glad I have sweet friends who want life updates!) But I usually reply “Uhhh, ask me again in the spring! We’ll see!” And that can be a scary answer. Here are some things I’ve learned through this whole process that will help you stay sane. Not a to-do list, but a healthy (I hope!) dose of perspective:

Do NOT be intimidated by people who seem like they’ve done more than you. The girl who sits next to you in anatomy who’s volunteered at stroke camp since high school? Great! Good for her. But if you switched into the major during your junior year, that’s great too. A different kind of great, but just as great.

Or maybe you never worked in a lab? Or volunteered at a clinic? Or you did a varsity sport and didn’t have summers? Transferred from a faraway school? Retook anatomy?

That is all fine. Your story is your story, and no one else’s. Playing the comparison game will drive you insane.

Still, there is a nagging fear in my mind… what if I don’t get in anywhere? What would I do?

 Well, the sun would still rise in the morning and my friends would still be my friends. I would still be me, things would just be different than I had hoped for.

Don’t misunderstand me, I want so badly to get into grad school and become an SLP. With all my heart, I do. But that’s not the end. This is not who we are, it's what we do with the time given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment